Dokita Volume 39 - general editions
To be Published: March 2020
Category: General Medicine
instructions to authors:
The requirements for submission of articles to DOKITA are in accordance with the “Uniform requirements for manuscripts” (the Vancouver style) as revised and published by the
International Committee of Medical Journal Editors in the British Medical Journal (BMJ 1991; 302; 338-41). All papers should be submitted in duplicate original script (No carbon copies). Double spacing with ample margins is desired throughout the text except for quotations. The manuscript should have the following components each of which should begin on a new page in the following sequence:
- Title page with the full title of the paper and the authors’ full names and highest academic degrees and departmental institutional affiliations.
- Running title of not more than 40 characters (letters and spaces included) and the name, address of author responsible for the correspondence about the manuscript.
- An abstract or summary of 150-250 words stating the objectives, methods, results and conclusion of the paper.
Below the abstract, list in alphabetical order three to eight key words for cross indexing using terms from the medical subject headings (MeSH) list of index medicus.
- Legends for illustrations.
References are number consecutively in the order in which they are first mentioned in the text. Arabic numerals in parenthesis are used. Abbreviations for journal titles should be those adopted by the index medicus. “Unpublished observations” and “personal communications” may not be used as references but may be inserted (in parenthesis) in the text. Papers accepted but not yet published may be cited with the journal designated and “in press” added. Use the style of examples given below. (Note the punctuation and spacing).
- For standard journal articles: Author’s name(s) initials, title of article, year of publication, volume in Arabic numerals ( with number in parenthesis) and the number of first and last pages. E.g.; Akinkugbe O.O. Nephrology in the tropical setting. Nephron 1978; 22:249- 252. If there is more than one author, list all except they exceed four wherein four are given, followed by et al.
- For books; authors name and initials, full title, edition, place of publication, publishers and year of publication. E.g.; Adetuyibi A.A. Companion to Clinical Medicine in the tropics. London; Macmillan 1980. If the author(s) is/are (an) editor(s), this should be indicated after the name(s) and initials.
Tables and Illustrations
Tables should be numbered consecutively in Roman Numerals in the order of their first citation in the text and should each have a brief title, they should be referred to in the text but set out on double spaced sheet separate from the text. Explanatory notes should be placed in the footnotes not in the heading. Do not use internal, horizontal and vertical rules. Ensure that each table is cited in the text. Illustrations should be numbered consecutively in Arabic numerals and should be submitted in duplicates. They should be good quality or mounted glossy photographs and positive prints. Drawings should be black Indian ink in white paper and in a finish state suitable for reproduction and legible enough for suitable reduction; Authors should carefully examine recent issues to ascertain the width of columns. Coloured illustrations would be published out only at the expense of the author(s). Legend for illustrations should be typed double-spaced on a separate page with Arabic numerals corresponding to the illustrations. A key explaining any symbols used in the illustrations must be included in the legend. Credit must be given for previously published illustrations.
Electronic copies of manuscripts accompanied by a letter signed by all co-authors addressed to:
The Editor in chief,
DOKITA Editorial Board,
Alexander Brown Hall,
University College Hospital,
The articles can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit an Article
Browse Past Journals